Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thanks for those of you who have offered some reflections and comments. Very helpful to hear perspectives as we live with the passage. Speaking of which, I'm getting to the point where there's a familiarity and anticipation of the passage that extends beyond reading into everyday life. Last night when I reflected on the days events I thought of the passage and was encouraged with the images of God that came to mind. In the worries I gained assurance that my God is really big. In the satisfaction of achievement I was reminded, "To what do you compare God? (vs. 18). It made me thankful that I actually can know God because he revealed himself through Scripture. That was encouraging because I tend to stay in the realm of critical thinking, always reflecting and challenging my own thoughts of faith. I was glad I could rest in the knowledge of God. Thanks again for the help through the comments that were made.

2 comments:

  1. Today verse 18 jumped out at me -"to who, then will you compare God? What image will you compare him to?" I have a tendency to make him in my image - but just a bit more powerful, so that he can do things for me, and so I can negotiate with him to get what I want.

    This is a contrast to v 22 "he sits enthroned above the circle of the earth and its people are like grasshoppers". With this image of God, its too humbling to expect him to do things for me, and its too overwhelming to try to negotiate with him. And yet, "he gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart" v11.

    It helps me to get a better perspective of who God is. He's not our personal genie. It means that I have to trust....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, theres a lot in this chapter...! God establishes who we are (like grasshoppers v22 who live on this earth for a short time like grass or flowers v6), he establishes who he is (all powerful v12-17, timeless v21), he establishes his love for each on of us (v11), and promises life forever with him (v31).

    So, whats the deal. I'm motivated by guilt, so I'm looking for the deal - with every other religion there is a need to do something to establish a relationship or a closeness to God, in Christianity we sometimes manufacture it - pray more, do more....

    What does Isaiah 40 tell me? Trust in Him (v31)- that's it. Its the deal that God made with Adam and Eve, and with the people of Israel, and with us (John 3:16). Simply trust, and believe. Seems too easy..but its not. So then, how can I live my life out of pure thankfulness?!

    John Paul

    ReplyDelete